As a senior member in ISEC’s Technology and Engineering organization, the Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) Manager is a “hands-on”, self-directed national role that proactively leads and develops Building Information Modeling (BIM) workflows and engineering deliverables (2D and 3D as required) for advanced project collaboration, data management, and risk mitigation to maximize customer value and minimize project cost and schedule. This person will have a passion for and know how to leverage technology for the creation of future services to fully integrate VDC into daily construction operations with a strong focus on improving the design phase and project outcomes. This person will bring an entrepreneurial spirit and possess exceptional leadership and relationship-building skills to facilitate project collaboration and influence/manage across company leadership, functional groups, and operating regions to articulate the value proposition to both internal teams, clients, and manufacturing partners to respond to ever changing opportunities that drive the direction of ISEC’s VDC services (people, processes and tools) across all projects.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support project teams through the development of 2D, 3D, and other model-based deliverables such as field scans, point clouds, etc. that drives productivity and meets project schedules
- Update, develop, and implement VDC Service training programs for project and field teams so VDC Service deliverables are leveraged in day-to-day operations; work with the training department to organize and conduct this training
- Facilitate and contribute to the engineering strategy and execution plans (e.g., BIM, shop floor drawings, field scanning, etc.) that support the required deliverables for the project
- Work with the VP, Technology & Engineering to manage VDC budget (overhead and billable utilization) and report on key budget performance indicators
- Establish VDC Service catalog and effectively communicate the value proposition, goals, etc. of the VDC Services to stakeholders at all organizational levels
- Establish tools for tracking and reporting VDC Service delivery status, schedule/budget KPIs, and managing issues on a periodic and consistent basis to provide Operations visibility and manage expectations
- Investigate and develop on a continuous basis, innovative methods based on extensive experience and an understanding of current trends/techniques related to VDC Services
- Collaborate with IT to lead technology R&D activities and manage initiatives, including new technology implementations
- Influence manufacturing partners (augment when necessary) to assist and provide product attributes/parameters, blocks, families, etc. to support our modeling needs
- Work closely with our Operations leadership to bring innovation (e.g., model coordination, field dimensioning, etc.) to the project production teams
- Work closely with pre-bid teams to provide VDC Service budgets and estimates, mockup examples and schedules for bid proposals, including client interviews and demonstration of qualifications for projects; Provide guidance and strategy with review of project specifications and contractors’ requirements (e.g., schedule, BIM Level of Development (LOD), etc.)
- Establish and maintain outsource engineering partner relationships and capacity to help internal VDC professionals fulfill the demand for VDC Services across all regions and projects
- Monitor industry trends and participate in professional and trade organizations/committees that will further ISEC’s expertise relative to VDC Services
- Available for weekend and early morning or night work in support of project schedules and/or issue escalation, especially as it pertains to our global outsource engineer partners
- Other duties as assigned
- Recruit, hire, and manage VDC professionals, assign individual responsibilities, and develop department schedules to ensure successful implementation of VDC Services on projects
- Plan and conduct performance appraisals of corporate engineering and regional BIM staff
- With guidance from VP, Technology & Engineering, administer disciplinary action, raises, bonuses and promotions when necessary
- Coach, mentor, and ensure appropriate training initiatives for new and existing corporate engineering and regional BIM staff
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Preferred Qualifications (in additional to Minimum Qualifications)
- Bachelor's Degree (BS) in Construction Management, Building Science, Engineering, Architecture, or Management/IT related field
- Five plus years of construction field operations, project management, or preconstruction experience
- Familiar with construction and project management systems (e.g., Procore, Prolog, etc.)
- Familiar with drawing authoring, markup, and management tools (e.g., Bluebeam, Plangrid, etc.)
- Familiar with lean construction and/or manufacturing, especially engineer-to-order/configure-to-order, and other “mass customization” production concepts and best practices
- Familiar with AEC data exchange guidelines, emerging standards, and formats (e.g., COBie, COSA, PDF Coalition, etc.)
- Professional or managed services experience designing and delivering complex service solutions
- Ten plus years’ leadership and/or top contributor experience in the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) field or similar job-cost industries (e.g., manufacturing, supply chain, etc.) and/or professional service, media, or entertainment organizations driving the adoption of design authoring and collaboration technology tools on specific large (up to $40M) projects
- Able to read and understand contract documents, drawings, and specifications
- Understands project workflows from design, estimation, construction administration and coordination, and fabrication
- Understands Design-Bid-Build, Design/Build, Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) and other modern contractual delivery methods
- Demonstrated project management skills; knowledge of project management methodologies (e.g., PMBOK); and experience using MS Project for task dependency management and scheduling
- Demonstrated financial analysis skills for managing budget and preparing business case justification (e.g., ROI, payback) used to identify and prioritize investments in VDC Services
- Strong presentation skills and confidence to evangelize and speak in small or large groups
- Direct experience with various drawing and/or modeling software platforms: Autocad, Revit, Navisworks, Sketchup, etc.
- Self-motivated, eager to learn and grow; maintain/advance expertise in VDC Services, including industry trends, strategies, and products
- Consultative approach, technical writing, project deliverable and strong communication skills that demonstrate experience delivering complex solutions and services
- Strong technical aptitude and analytical, problem-solving, and conflict-resolution skills that demonstrate experience resolving difficult issues and dilemmas
- Ability to manage project timelines and outcomes for projects with considerable implementation risk; ability to prioritize activities against business and project (scope vs. schedule vs. resource) constraints
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team player; must be able to establish credibility as a trusted advisor and drive/manage change with peers and across functional teams
- High level of Emotional Intelligence (EI) with a “servant leadership” attitude; adaptable to others’ ideas and approaches to work that demonstrates interest in the best possible solution for ISEC vs. personal agenda
Customer Service Skills
- Demonstrates commitment to deliver outstanding service – both with internal and external customers
- Takes ownership to personally resolve customer problems (or find someone who can)
- Listens well, asks clarifying questions, and checks for agreement with customers
- Committed to following-up with customers in all instances in a timely manner
- Strong sense of accountability - ensures that you will do what you say you are going to do
- Creates a personal connection with customers – smiles, warm greetings, acts friendly and respectful, listens
- Ability to travel (including international) up to 20% of the year
Established in 1967, ISEC, Inc. is a leading national prime trades contractor for specialty building interiors and equipment. Our core values: commitment to customer, integrity, respect, safety, and teamwork are the cornerstone of our business. We provide innovative solutions to projects involving general trades, architectural woodwork, ornamental metals, doors, frames & hardware, specialties, laboratory furniture, and medical equipment. This diverse capability allows us to participate in a variety of complex commercial trade packages.
A $300 million a year business, we are an employee-owned company. Headquartered in Englewood, CO, we have regional offices near Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, San Francisco, Phoenix and DC; as well as in San Diego, LA, Houston, San Antonio and Tampa. With close to 1,100 construction professionals and craftsmen, we are a great place to grow your career.
ISEC is a tobacco/smoke/drug free company, an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and supports workplace diversity. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled candidates are encouraged to apply.
For more information on ISEC, or to review our FMLA notice, please visit our web site: www.isecinc.com.